I'm usually not. But you see, the other day I officially signed up to attend my high school's 10 year reunion on October 5. (WHAT? 10 YEARS? HOW IS THAT EVEN REMOTELY POSSIBLE!?) And I had a bunch of old high school-style insecurities wash over me, and even thought about doing a number of weird diets just to feel better about "my number" come the 5th.
I have been looking for an opportunity to reset my expectations about healthy portions, and this seemed like as good a time as any. So I'm using MyFitnessPal to track my calories, and I'm committing to drinking 8 glasses of water a day.
Tracking calories is important, but I think it's the water that is changing me for the better. Here are the pros and cons I've been experiencing:
Cons of Drinking 8 Glasses of Water a Day
- I have to go to the bathroom once every 1-2 hours (this never would have worked for me while I was working at Starbucks)
- I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom
- When I get my reminder to get another glass (I have it set up on my Google calendar), I usually haven't finished the last one and have to gulp it down
Pros of Drinking 8 Glasses of Water a Day
- My skin already looks brighter, especially under my eyes
- My mind is clearer
- I feel less sluggish, more energetic, even with the calorie-cutting I'm doing
It really feels like the easiest thing I have ever done to feel better immediately. So now I'm shouting it from the rooftops. Drink. More. WATERRRR!!